Tuesday, January 15, 2008

SeaWolf

Every once in a while, you have to make life changing decisions. One's that effect the outcome of the rest of your life. Some examples are: choosing which college you want to attend, choosing your major, choosing your career, marriage, etc. Well it has come time for me to make a life changing decision, and it is none of the above.

I am joining the U.S. Navy.

If you are confused, please read above sentence again.

Some may ask why I would do that. Here are my reasons:

1) I am stuck in a dead end job. The newspaper I am working at has not potential to get me anywhere in the business except small time papers, which isn't my thing.

2) I have an associates degree (coursework is complete, don't have the degree yet), and in the newspaper world, except for small time papers, that won't cut it.

3)I am STUCK in Muskogee, Oklahoma... and its miserable here.

4) I have become lazy and complacent, and it is driving me insane.

5) I am not happy with where I am at.

Ok so that answers the why. Now I will answer what the Navy will do for me.

1) I will be able to complete my Bachelors relatively quick, which gives me the chance to train as a Naval Officer.

2) I will be going to one of the best Mass Communication schools in the nation.

3) I will triple or quadruple what I am making now, instantly, plus full coverage benefits.

4) I can travel.

5) When I get out of the Navy, I will have Navy attached to my resume, and can go to work anywhere I want.

So that's what the Navy will do for me. The next question you will have is when will I leave, and what is the timetable I will be working under.

1) I will leave as soon as I get all my stuff in order. So I am shooting for late spring early summer.

2) Boot Camp or "Basic Training" will last 8 weeks in Great Lakes, Illinois. Then I will be off my A-school for Mass Communications in Athens, GA for 25 weeks. After that I will pick my assignment, whether it be at a base or at sea.

3) I will be enlisting for 8 years, and then I will probably go reserve after that.

This decision definitely came out of the blue. I was not looking in the direction of the military, but it definitely came to me, and came with a lot of pluses. I have done my research (still doing it) and have talked to all the major players in my life. They all agree that it is a good idea, and if I work hard and do as instructed, it will pay big dividends. If anyone has any further questions or inquiries or would just like to say anything regarding my decision, feel free to do so. I welcome all input.

This is the SeaWolf signing off until next time.

~Ian

2 comments:

christelpistol said...

TOO MANY SEAMAN JOKES FOR A SISTER TO MAKE!



AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Anonymous said...

Good Luck.