Monday, January 7, 2008

Coming to you LIVE from the Muskogee Phoenix newsroom

I am effectively BORED at work. I love my job, mind you, but it has its downtime. And when I say downtime, I mean looking for things to do to keep from chewing my own arm off.

I usually work anywhere from 3-5 hours a night (sweet job right?) but for the first 2 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours.... BOREDOM. Unless I am taking call in scores, it's pretty dead. I build my page layout and throw in the early stuff... then it's a waiting game. I have to wait until the scores, standings, and roundups to cross the AP wire (Associated Press database for said work) and plug them in, which usually come in all at the same time right before deadline. So it's hectic for like 30-45 minutes at the end.

Right now is downtime. I'm watching the BCS Championship, which I could give less than a shit about who wins... actually I retract that statement... I hope LSU wins, because I think Ohio State is severely overrated for the second year in a row, and cheated their way to their last National Championship. (Edit: LSU won 38-24. Congrats to the Bayou Bengals. I'll do a blog tomorrow about the crazy NCAA football season.)

I also get to read all the AP stories before the rest of the public universe gets a shot at them (nah nah nah) so I feel superior in that respect.

Anyways... I guess I will get back to "work"... Just thought I would blog a little bit to break the monotony.

That's all for now. Thanks for tuning in. You can go back to your lives now.

~Ian

3 comments:

christelpistol said...

they're called books.

Ian Townsend said...

I read all the time.... And I get in less trouble when it looks like I'm working i.e. Blogging than if I was sitting there with a book.

Ian Townsend said...

I know, but you know me Ive got to explain myself always....