Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Writing is my life

If you told me a few years ago that I would be writing for a living, Id ask you what drugs you were doing. I had always enjoyed writing as a hobby, but never even gave it a second thought as a career.

Fast forward to the present. Im a journalism major with less than 8 months until I graduate college. Let me repeat that. I GRADUATE IN 8 MONTHS.... AND Ill be writing and taking pictures for a living. I know... crazy right?

Well since I made the decision to become a full time writer, Ive been inspired. I started a new blog, Ive written 2 major stories (one in the works), 5 movie reviews (one in the works), a sports column in the works, a personal column in the works, and et cetera.

Im a busy guy with ideas just running circles around me. I am definitely using this blog to squeeze out ideas, and get them written before they run away from me. Ive pulled so many ideas out of me in the past 3 months that Im really starting to believe in myself as a writer. I have ideas for novels Im slowly putting together, so that when Im ready, i can put them in print and get them out into the public. I really want to try and do something different with my novels, because who wants to write like someone else?

Im enjoying myself alot more these days and definitely like what Im doing... With education... I just wasnt ready to commit to that. I want to get out of school for a while and see the world... follow my own path and not be locked down. I also want a job where I have much more freedom and possibilities to express myself and be myself.

I find myself sitting there just shocked at where I am in my life. At 22, Ive been through so many things and traveled so many paths that have led me to where I am now, and Im just excited to see whats next. Ive got a whole horizon of possibilities and unlimited paths to walk. Who knows where Ill go, what I do, or who I will become in the process.

I have made many good choices and bad choices in my life and all have created me as I am now. I wouldnt trade my life for anything, and know that all of my choices were meant to happen. I know where ever I go, I am watched over and protected. I know Im free to live how I choose ad do the things I want, but I know Im also guided by God. I had a great conversation with someone today, and he helped me realize that while I walk freely, I am given a path and given a means to achieve anything I want, all I have to do is work for it. Nothing is given to us straight away and we have to achieve and believe to get those things. I know I can do anything I want if I put in the work and always believe in myself, what Im doing, and God.

Im really excited walking the path Im on. I cant wait to see whats next.

~Ian

1 comment:

christelpistol said...

hey steinbeck,


a lot is 2 words.


love,

your sister
(the FIRST writer in the family)