Monday, April 16, 2007

What's this world coming to?

School shootings are nothing new in this incredibly violent society we live in.

In less than ten years, there have been three fatal shootings at schools around the nation, and five over the past 51 years.

Until April 16, 2007, the incident in 1966 at the University of Texas, where Charles Whitman killed 15 people and wounded 31, was the worst school shooting in history.

The killings at Columbine devastated a town and put the United States into shock, reminding us of the possible evil of human nature.

The worst of all happened at Virginia Tech University this past Monday.

An unknown gunman spread terror and death across the Virginia Tech campus, killing 32 people, injuring at least 28 and then taking his own life.

When I was younger, I never feared going to school except when I wasn’t ready for a test or forgot to do a project.

When Columbine happened, I began to fear what could happen to me at school.

I could not believe that someone could do such a monstrous thing.

As time passed, the fear faded from my memory, but we were again reminded by another murderous spree at a school in Virginia that left three dead and three wounded.

The slaughter at Virginia Tech brings those fears fresh into my mind again.

It shocks me how people can do these terrible things and do so much harm to those around them.

The evil in humanity is becoming ever present with the increase in violence and horror-inducing actions that plague our society.

Every day you hear stories of people killing others or treating them in ways that I cannot fathom doing to another human.

It scares me to know that I might know someone who could commit such evil acts.

“Youth of the Nation” by P.O.D., a powerful song about a school shooting that grabs the listener with vivid lyrics and imagery, was inspired by Columbine, and was written to raise awareness about the possibility of such events.

It makes me very sad when these things happen, and I can only hope that such things never happen again, but to think that they won’t would be ignorance.

My heart goes out to the people affected by these heinous events, and I keep them in my thoughts and prayers.

It is sad that it takes things like Columbine, 9/11, and the killings at Virginia to unite the nation.

I wish we could be united by the greatest things we do instead of the very worst.

"YOUTH OF THE NATION" BY P.O.D.

Last day of the rest of my life
I wish I would have known cause I'd have kissed my momma goodbye.
I didn't tell her that I loved her or how much cared or thank my
pops for all the talks and all the wisdom he shared.
Unaware I just did what I always do.
Everyday the same routine before I skate off to school
But who knew that this day wasn't like the rest,
Instead of takin' the test I took two to the chest.

Call me blind but I didn't see it comin' and
everybody was runnin' but I couldn't
hear nothin', except gun blast, it happened so fast
I didn't really know this kid though I sat by him in class.
Maybe this kid was reachin' out for love or
maybe for a moment he forgot who he was or
maybe this kid just wanted to be hugged,
whatever it was I know its because

CHORUS
We are We are the youth of the nation (repeat)x4

Little Suzie she was only twelve
She was given the world with every chance to excel
Hang with the boys and hear the stories they tell
She might act kinda proud but no respect for herself

She finds love in all the wrong places
The same situations but different faces.
Changed up her pace since her daddy left her
Too bad he never told her she deserved much better.

Johnny boy always played the fool,
He broke all the rules so you would think he was cool.
He was never really one of the guys
No matter how hard he tried,
Often thought of suicide
It's kinda hard when you ain't got no friends,
He put his life to an end they might remember him then.
You cross a line and there is no turnin' back
He told the world how he felt with the sound of a gat.

CHORUS x4

Who's to blame for the life that tragedies claim?
No matter what you say it won't take away the pain
That I feel inside, I'm tired of all the lies
Don't nobody know why
It's the blind leadin' the blind.
Guess that's the way that the story goes,
Will it ever make sense somebody's gotta know,
There's gotta be more to life than this,
There's got to be more to everything
I thought exists

CHORUS to the end

No comments: