Monday, April 23, 2007

Speaking to the void

Sometimes it feels like I'm talking/typing into the void of space.

I know I'm not the only one to feel this way, but it seems ever so apparent as of late. I'm not trying to complain here, don't get me wrong. I love to write, even if no one reads it, because it helps me get things out of my head that would otherwise stagnate and die. Writing is my way of clearing my head and blowing off steam. I used to play football, lift weights or run to do that, but since I've given up sports, this is the technique that gets the job done.

Anyways lately I've simply felt like I'm putting my stuff out there, no ones reading it... and I am feeling a little bit unhappy about it. As a professional writer (working on it) I guess it's become an ego thing. I'm no longer judged by what I do with football or track but by what I write or the pictures I take.

Am I getting vain or egotistical? I sure hope not. I guess I just like having feedback on what I'm writing now. Its nice to walk around school and hear people tell me they enjoyed the story I wrote or like the picture I took. It's great getting emails from people saying they love my work. This weekend, I was asked by several people if I was a professional photographer, because I took some great pictures at the College All-Star Game I attended. Some people even offered to pay for my pics!

Is it bad that I feel really good about that experience?

I hope its just me wanting to be the best writer/photographer I can, and not wanting to settle for less than the best.

Anyways, I just wanted to say thanks to those who do read my work and enjoy it... and if you have any suggestions, Im always open for constructive criticism.

Im done "not" complaining now.

I'll write something intersting now.

1 comment:

Tenacious B said...

I feel you. Sometimes it seems to me that I'm writing for no reason.

But I change that. I write for the wastebasket now. I write as if it will never be read. It doesn't make me feel any better if I get no hits, but at least I keep writing. Discouragement is the worst thing that could happen to people like us.

If you build it, they will come.