Monday, March 23, 2009

Why can't we all just get along?

Let me start by saying I am probably going to piss people off with this blog. You may or may not be offended by what I am about to say, but I honestly, don't care. I have something to say, and I am going to say it. If you are sensitive or get offended easily, stop reading now.

I'm pissed off. Every day, everywhere you always hear about someone having issues with someone else. I'm not talking abut small trivial issues, because I get sick of other people's shit too. I'm talking about subjects that, in this day and age, we should not have. Things that should have died out years ago, but still live strong in a society that is so blended that we can't even say we are one thing or another. If you haven't figured out what I'm talking about, you're a fucking moron.

I'm going to be talking about some pretty touchy subjects. I'm going to get in deep to some subjects some people won't touch. I want to go there because I am willing to voice my opinions in hopes of helping people see that things aren't always what they seem. Read on if you dare.

I'm sooooooooooooo tired of racism. So sick of it. Yes, I'm white. By the claims of popular society, I should have no say or anger over the subject. I should feel remorse for what "my people" did. I should work towards improving the lives of those of color. I've got two words for all of that. Fuck off. What happened with slavery was wrong. Totally wrong. The way people in this country and around the world have been treated because of the color of their skin is disgusting. I definitely think that reparations should have been paid for what happened.

But I do not think that people should still be blaming anyone else or society for their situations now. I could claim that my life is forever altered for having Irish blood, and what the English did to my people. I could also be angry and upset about how the Irish were treated in this country. I'm not. I was never personally victimized or mistreated so why should I blame others for what never happened to me? I get that people still hold racist beliefs. I don't know why but they do. I've never seen the world in black and white. My four very best friends are black. I've had friends of every race, and never had a problem with them. I see the world as it should be... it doesn't matter what your skin color is. It matters what kind of person you are.

I'm sick of people talking about Obama. Yes he is half black. So what? It is well established that people of any race can be very successful. It was about time we had someone who wasn't white in the White House. Eventually, I know we will have a female president. We are the most culturally diverse country in the world, but we still have one of the worst race problems. We still act sometimes as if it is the 1950s. Some people still act as if they are superior just because of their skin pigmentation.

I also hate the judgement of a whole race or culture based on a select group. There are dumb, ignorant, fuck-ups in every group, and they seem to be the ones that everyone is judged by. Not every black person is a thug or gangsta or a n***a (I hate that word. I think it's not a term of endearment, and should not be used ever. Yes, I'm white, I don't give a fuck, it bothers me). Not every white person is a honky redneck hillbilly. Not every Native American is an alcoholic gambler living off the government. We have successful individuals from every culture and it's about fucking time we realized it.

Now racism is only part of my issue. I hate the way people perceive each other and treat each other. It bothers the hell out of me. But you wanna know what bothers me even more? People using their race or the past as an excuse. I HATE, abso-fucking-lutely hate it when people do that. I swear, the next time I hear someone say they didn't get something because of their skin color, I'm going to slug them. It's ignorant and stupid. If you can't get something because you aren't good enough, then accept it as that. Yes, there are still stupid ass racists who screw people out of things that they deserve, but that is getting to be less of a problem by the day. We can't use excuses anymore, we just have to suck it up and deal with things as they are. I also think that people getting free handouts or preferential treatment because of what you are is what's causing most of the problems. Again, i do agree with reparations, and giving back for what was taken, but I believe that in this day and age, that we can stop using that excuse. Helping people because they don't want to try and want to just use excuses to get by is shameful. Anybody who does that ought to be ashamed of themselves, and the people who give those handouts and BS are just as guilty and should be just as ashamed.

Now before you get too angry, I believe that some people do need help. I know people who have worked their asses off, but just could not get the same opportunities, and got a helping hand that launched them. I am ok with that. I am more than willing to give to and associate with a cause like that. What I am not willing to accept is helping those who won't help themselves, and simply live off others. People who believe they deserve something because of their color and think it is owed to them by society. If you can't earn it yourself, regardless of what you are, then you don't deserve it, period.

Something that goes along with racism is sexism. It's fucking silly. Women have earned the right to stand along side men in any venture they choose. I don't think that anything is strictly for men or for women. A lot of hard asses get all riled up over women doing their job. Get over it. Women are not subservient to men in any way, shape, or form, and to think so is really really immature. I remember how angry some people got over the movie G.I. Jane. Special Forces are still a male only thing, but I think one day, it could change. I don't know when or how but I wouldn't mind it. To assume anyone is not good enough for something because of gender is the same as doing it because of race. Everyone has the right to choose their own path, and not be told what they can and can't do because of who or what they are. We have come too far as a species to keep acting like this.

Ok now that I'm done pissing off one group of people it's time to move on to my next group.

Anyone who knows me, knows I am not a fan of organized religion. I think that it is the single worst thing in this world. I am a man of faith. Don't think me an atheist or anything like that. I love my God and I love my own personal beliefs. What I have a problem with is people telling what I SHOULD believe, and what is right to believe. I also think it's entirely hypocritical. The 5th Commandment says "thou shalt not Kill" yet Religion is the leading cause of death in human history. Billions of people have died for loving a "different God". Oddly enough, when you read the Bible... we all have the same God. Hmmmmmmm.

I've been to a few churches and study groups, and a few of them we good. They simply talked about worshiping, about loving God, and living a good life. They talked about being a generally good person, repenting for your sins, believing in a higher purpose, and spreading good will and love. I am OK with all of that, because their goal is to spread the Word of God (I'll get to this in a minute) and faith in a peaceful loving manner. Some churches and religions don't feel that way. They TELL people how to worship their God. They TELL people how to act, behave, and live their lives. They TELL them if they don't follow a strict rigid guideline, they will forever burn in Hell. No free passes, no forgiveness, if you fuck up, you burn. No pressure. They TELL people all of those things, then the people running that church commit awful crimes and act as if they are God themselves and are above human law. I think that is morally and just plain wrong. It's things like that, that make me hate Religion as a whole. I feel very bad for the good religious people out there because as with everything... the actions of few cause the pain for many. I have to say that I do fall in a hypocritical group in the sense that I judge all of religion by what a certain group does, but I feel in my heart and in my beliefs that the world would be so much better with out organized religion.

My next issue is with the Bible. I have read it, and do continue to read from it from time to time. I believe it is a great source for inspiration and for stories that teach good lessons. The Bible is nothing more than a book of inspirational stories. I don't get how people can believe it is the literal Word of God. Actually, I do know how people can be led into that idea, but that goes with that TELLING thing again. Besides the fact that some of the things in the Bible are scientifically impossible (I can hear the people getting very angry now) the Bible has been re-written, re-organized, and edited so many times, how can it be even close to the original thing? How can we know if any of it is even true? The Bible didn't just drop from the heavens. It was written by the hand of man, and is therefore, the Word of Man Supposedly Inspired by God. Again, I think it a great source of inspiration, but nothing to take literally.

All in all, my beliefs on organized religion and the fact that it is one of the worst things in human history (and also has brought on some of the best things, but it doesn't outweigh all the bad it has done) are held by others. I don't believe Jesus, or any of the spiritual leaders you read about in the Bible would condone the way people are acting in their name. I think that they would be ashamed of those people who call themselves Christians, Jews and Muslims. They preached peace, love, and understanding, and I don't feel or see any of that these days. All I see is anger, war, and ignorance. You can't preach love and good will with an assault rifle in your hand.

So I'm done complaining now about a few things that bother me. Maybe I will work on a few of my other annoyances another day but I hope you come away from reading this a little upset. Upset about how our world is and how people treat each other over silly things. Upset about how our belief structure is built. Upset that we can't grow up and get along with others. People always wonder how humanity will end. The answer is by our own hands. I hope you learned something here today. If you think less of me because of my beliefs and because of what I wrote, I'm ok with that. I can live with that because I am comfortable with myself and my thoughts. I will leave you to make your own assumptions. I will leave you to make or have your own opinions or beliefs. My goal here today wasn't to change your mind. It was to educate you a little bit on the way I see things. Goodnight everybody and God Bless.

~Ian

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm praying for you to be touched with an optimistic outlook on the world!

Ian Townsend said...

You know what... me too... But I have seen too much evil and ill will in this world to have much hope... But keep praying... you never know!