Wednesday, February 6, 2008

The Navy and my life as I know it...

You don't realize how attached you get to the stuff you have until you're faced with not having it. When I leave for the Navy, I have to leave behind... well EVERYTHING.

No computer, no ipod, no phone. No tv, no movies, no music. None of the comforts I have grown to "depend" upon. No more junk food, beer, lazy days spent watching football. I will get to enjoy these things again, just not during Basic Training. It's just when you live your whole life with it, you tend to find it hard to change.

I know it's simply the price I have to pay. Every decision requires sacrifice, and my life as I know it will be my sacrifice. I can't say that I am totally disappointed by what I have to give up.

I have to move out of Oklahoma, stop living on the verge or poverty, give up my job that doesn't give me enough hours or pay, move out of an apartment that has a bug/noise/idiot neighbor problem.

What do I get in return for my sacrifices? I get a great job with great pay and benefits. I get to travel the world. I get a month of paid vacation. When I get out of the Navy, I have a great resume.

I am not complaining. I am willingly giving this stuff up (for the time being) so that I can raise my quality of life, and not be stuck in the same rut I have been in for a while. I just don't see any downsides to the adventure on which I am about to embark.

I am lucky to have the friends and family I have, who support me in my decisions, whether they totally agree with them or not. I am privileged to be able to go to them, and have them give me their opinions straight up with no bullshit.

My sister did not agree with my joining the Navy in the beginning, but over time, she is slowing coming to embrace the idea, and not because she totally agrees, but because she loves me, wants to see me happy and successful, and if this path is my chosen one, she will be behind me. My best friends support me as always in everything I do, and that's more than I could ever ask for. My Dad and my Stepmom also support me in the same way as my sister, not totally agreeing, but standing behind me regardless.

For those of you who don't know, on March 3, 2008 I am shipping off to Navy Basic Training in Great Lakes, Ill. There I will spend two months becoming a U.S. Navy Sailor.

After that I will be off to my Training School in Pensacola, Fla. for training in Avionics. I will be there 14-26 weeks to learn all there is to know about planes and helicopters, and possibly becoming part of the Aircrew.

From there I will go on assignment, and when it comes open, try to shift into Mass Communication when a spot opens up. I was not able to get a spot initially due to the program being fully staffed. So I will learn Avionics until then.

Also, after a few assignments, or at the end of my 5 year enlistment, I will be joining Officer Training to learn how to be either a Public Affairs Officer or a Naval Pilot.

Everything after my initial training school is just speculation, but at least I have a plan going in. I want to serve enlisted for a few years on assignment so I can see the world and enjoy my time in the Navy before becoming too "responsible", or as the enlisted say... "I want to work for a living, and earn my pay".

So anyways thats whats going on in my life. 9 days 'til I leave Muskogee, 19 days 'til I get to hang out with my sister, and 26 days until I ship off. I want to thank everyone who has supported me through all the thick and thin, and to all my readers for checking out a view into my world. You have 26 more days to enjoy my insights until I go on hiatus!

Seaman Recruit Townsend, Division 302 signing off.

1 comment:

christelpistol said...

"shippin up to boston....."