Friday, February 13, 2009

Tale of Two People

I had a unique childhood. Even though I had siblings, I grew up by myself. Now I don't want you to think that I was neglected by them, or that we were estranged... more that I didn't know my sister, and my brother was more like a cousin.

My brother is my mother's son. For that reason alone... he and I always had a gap between us. He was her golden boy. I love my brother, don't get me wrong. He and I have always had a pretty good relationship, but we were never that close. I really never went to him for advice, and besides the mutual interests we shared, he and I really didn't have a lot in common. We also had a big age gap, so that didn't really help much.

My sister lived with her mom in South Carolina. I never really knew her in any capacity until my teens, and at that point, we also had a pretty narrow relationship. We got along pretty well, but we never spent much time together, so we never got a big chance to let our relationship grow.

So as you can see... I pretty much grew up as an only child. That changed for me when our father separated from my mother. He and my sister began reconciling their relationship, and in that time, I became part of that process. I started to realize what I had... and what I had missed my whole life.

The day I consider the turning point for the Townsend family was April 23, 2005. My sister and father came to see my conference track meet in Austin. I wasn't able to run because of a lingering hamstring injury, and I felt bad, because it was the first and only sporting event my sister ever made it to. But the day was not lost. We had the best time just bonding. Our father told us about the amazing date he went on the night before, and my sister and I thought he was like a high school kid with a crush. (the crush is now his wife and our step mom! she rocks.) We laughed, we talked, we told stories. We wandered around downtown Austin, and ended up in a bar drinking Harps, and sharing tear-filled and touching moments.

Since then... I have found that one of the most amazing people on the planet is my sister. She and I have become incredibly close, and share so many things on so many levels that it is like we did grow up together. Sure we still find out new things about each other, and we are constantly making up for lost time, but for the most part it is like we aren't on our 4 year of being true siblings.

The difference my sister has made on my life is huge. She has guided me into who I am, and without her influence, I would be a different person. She always says "I spent the first 21 years of Zachary's life (Zachary is her brother from another father) and I would spend the next 21 of mine raising you".

Not many people fully realize the impact that a sibling can have on you. After growing up with no true sibling relationship, and finding the best one 4 years ago, I see it. I know what it's like on both sides, and I have to say I prefer what I have now. I love having someone who I can go to any time I need advice, someone to have fun with, and someone who gets me so completely that there is no doubt that we are related.

So to my sister... whom I can never thank you enough for what you have done for me, and for what you are to me. You make me a much better person, and I hope that I have had as much of a profound effect in your life as you do in mine.

Love you sis.

~Ian

No comments: