Tuesday, January 20, 2009

New Day

So we have a new president. Hooray.

Can you tell I am less than thoroughly excited? Yes it is a momentous day in history. We have our first non-Caucasian president. That is progressive. What isn't progressive is the way people are acting about it. Anyone who knows me, knows I am not racist. Not even in the slightest. But the way that SOME people are acting about the fact that our president is a man of color is shameful.

They say things like "I guess it's snowing in Hell, because all the white people said it would be a cold day in Hell if we ever had a black president" or "We got a N***A in the white house now... white people better watch out, its about to be the BLACK HOUSE".

Seriously? Why do we as a people act like this, or tolerate it? We have a NEW president. So what if he is of color? So what if he is BLACK? What does that matter anymore? Haven't we proven that people of any color have the opportunity to be equal and do anything they put their minds to? We have Black, Asian, Latino, Indian, Native American people at all levels of our society so why is it SUCH A BIG DEAL about race anymore?

I love the fact that we can finally elect a person of color our president, and allow a woman (even though she is in fact the anti-christ) to run for the chance to be president. I love that we can stand united together behind our differences. I love that we can be progressive, but FOR FUCKS SAKE stop ruining it with stupidity. White people voted for Obama so doesn't that rule out the "all white people" comment? Until people grow up and realize that we are all AMERICANS and we must stand together united and not keep spitting dumbass slurs and idiot comments.

We elected an AMERICAN for president. Who cares what color he is? Good luck Barack Obama... I hope you live up to the expectations. I hope you do a good job. I wish nothing but the best for you and this country in the coming years.

One problem I do have... and I think it is a big one... is that in his speech... he made A LOT of emphasis on helping out other countries, doing all he could for them... but shouldn't we be focusing on our own problems? I love this country, but we would rather ignore the rot inside our own borders to help other deal with theirs. What is the point of helping others when it cripples us? We need to focus on domestic issues, and put foreign ones on the back burner. I know Obama has a lot of plans to cure what ails the USA, and I hope he gets at least some of it done, but I still think that he may be focusing a little bit too much on what is going on outside of our country.

Ok, I am going to step off my soap box now. I just had to voice a few things on this day of days. Here is to hoping today truly is a new day... and not the beginning of all the same old shit.

~Ian

1 comment:

christelpistol said...

i'm completely inspired.