Saturday, December 29, 2007

16 and OH!

It's not often you get to see football history in the amounts I've seen lately with the New England Patriots. Now before anyone hauls off calling me a bandwagon rider, lets get the facts straight. I like the Pats, not my favorite team, but a team I do like, respect, and like to see succeed.

Unlike the numerous haters and lovers that have come out this year, my stance on the team remains unchanged. I have liked them since Tom Brady became their QB and like to watch them win, unless they play the Broncos. I will always pick the Broncos over the Pats, even if I know it's hopeless, but that's being a true fan for ya.

Anyways let's get to my assessments.

I think Tom Brady is the best QB in the league and has a chance to be the best ever.



He came in his first year as a sixth-round pick and led the underdog team to an improbable victory. In the 5 years following, he has led them to two more Super Bowl victories, a perfect season, and a shot at an unprecedented 4th SB in 6 years. Tell me he's not the shit.

Bill Belichick makes me laugh. Yes he is an asshole. But you cant deny his ability to coach, and create a TEAM out of superstars. Not a single Patriot talks about themselves as better than the team, and always talk about what the other players are doing while downplaying their own accomplishments. Did Belichick cheat with that whole Spygate scandal? I don't know, and frankly I don't care. Every team steals signals, so give it a rest.

Now let's have a rundown of what New England did this year.

1) First time a team has gone 16-0 during the regular season. The Dolphins went 14-0 in their undefeated season.

2) Broke the single season scoring record with 589 points. The old record was 552.

3) Brady threw 50 TDs, 23 to Randy Moss, both records. (49-Peyton manning, 22-Jerry Rice)

4) 19 straight regular season victories.

Tell me that isn't amazing. Tell me in the era of individuals, cheating, and scandal, a team accomplishment like this isn't huge. Tell me that with a straight face and the chance of eternal damnation.

It also seems the Pats are poised to deliver Beantown its second championship of the season, with the Red Sox delivering earlier this year. If things keep progressing the way they are, the Celts may deliver number 3, earning a city 3 major sport championships in one year for the first time in history. (I think. I will check my facts) The NE Revolution was in the MLS Cup this year as well, but couldn't pull off the win. If only the Bruins woke up from sucking, then it would be the first time a city has won or been in the championship game in every major sport in history... wow right? Of course this is all based on the Pats and Celts doing the probably inevitable, and the Bruins doing the improbable.

As an avid SPORTS fan, such things rarely happen, and witnessing them in my lifetime is amazing. I congratulate the Sox for being baseball's best team and the Pats for making history. Keep up the good work fellas.

*On a side note, I plan on using the weekends to build posts and won't usually post a "real entry" unless it's called for like in this case. I just wanted to let you guys know. And also thanks for reading, and for not giving up on me after such a long layoff. I promise to be more consistent from here on out. Please let your friends know about this site and lets get the Word of the Wolf out to the masses. ~Ian*

No comments: