Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Mr. Movie Guy and the Order of the Phoenix

So I got to see the midnight showing of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. You're jealous, I know. I did have to wait in line for an hour and a half with a whole lot of really strange people, but it was WORTH IT.

OOTP was very well done. It, like its predecessors, had to pack an enormously large amount of book into a 2 1/2 hour movie, so naturally things were left out, altered, or completely made up. It's cool though because it was still great. Now realize this. I was seeing the movie after reading the book, so I could make connections, see what they left out, and follow the movie, knowing what was coming next. Had I not had prior knowledge, there could have been some "getting lost" in the plot lines. But despite anything that can detract from this movie, what it boasts far outweighs it.

The acting was superb. The trio of Harry, Ron, and Hermione were played to the t. I still don't like Michael Gambon as Dumbeldore as much as Richard Harris, but I don't think Harris would have been suited for the later Dumbeldore character due to the nature of the action he's involved in. Still, Gambon just doesn't strike me as the Dumbeldore I read about in the books. Umbridge was played perfectly. She was as nasty, hateful, and conniving as in the book, although she did not look like a toad, but who's complaining really? Dudley simply looked like a damn fool. I can't say I was unhappy with the director cutting out the Dursleys in the 4th movie, but I'm certainly glad they were kept to a small part in OOTP. Everyone else did a good job in their roles as well. I think it is funny how everyone in the movie got a haircut between GOF and OOTP.

The special effects were phenomenal as always and the only thing I wish they would bring back is Quidditch. It was so fun to watch... but oh well, sacrifices must be made.

OOTP is definitely in the running as the best Potter film, along with POA but time will tell. I'm glad to hear they have signed David Yates to direct HBP and have made sure at this point everyone will be returning. There seemed to be speculation that some characters would not reprise their roles, but that rumor has been squashed.

All in all, OOTP is a good movie, and worth watching in theatres more than once, and owning when it comes out on DVD.

Only 10 more days until Deathly Hallows is out on bookshelves...

1 comment:

christelpistol said...

how much of a dork am i that when i see "OOTP" i think "Out of The Park" (as a baseball reference)



gah.