Saturday, April 25, 2009

First Round Coverage! 32 picks, a bunch of trades, and 3 1/2 hours just for you...

Ok here goes.

1. Detroit Lions
My pick: Matthew Stafford
Chosen: Matt Stafford
Easy choice. I had this one right last night when he signed the contract.

2. St. Louis Rams
My pick: Eugene Monroe
Chosen: Jason Smith
I figured this one might happen. Close choice but I ate this one.

3. Kansas City Chiefs
My pick: Aaron Curry
Chosen: Tyson Jackson
A lot of people saw this one coming, but I still remain unimpressed with Jackson. Bad pick in my opinion.

4. Seattle Seahawks
My pick: Mark Sanchez
Chosen: Aaron Curry
They took the best player available and filled an obvious need. No hard feelings on this choice, but the KC pick really set this one up.

5. New York Jets (traded from Cleveland)
My pick: Michael Crabtree
Chosen: Mark Sanchez
I knew the Jets would go after a QB, considering my choice for them to take Josh Freeman. Good choice, but Is he worth two picks and 3 players? Dunno.

6. Cincinnati Bengals
My pick: Jason Smith
Chosen: Andre Smith
Terrible pick. I think he has severe character issues, and will end up being one of those players with weight troubles and will be a bust. But who knows. i
I think Monroe would have been better here. And what was with him wearing black and everyone else in the room wearing white. WTF? I'm sucking ass with my picks...

7. Oakland Raiders
My pick: Jeremy Maclin
Chosen: Darius Heyward-Bey
What the FUCK. Proof that Al Davis is a fucking tool. Speed over the best receiver in the draft... MORONS. You guys just SCREWED yourselves. Good job.

8. Jacksonville Jaguars
My Pick: B.J. Raji
Chosen: Eugene Monroe
Another team passed on Crabtree, but a solid pick here. Not bad. Crabtree probably won't go till San Fran.

9. Green Bay Packers
My pick: Everette Brown
Chosen: B.J. Raji
Raji was a good choice here. Obviously the best pick for them, because they didn't need a receiver.

10. San Fransisco 49ers
My Pick: Andre Smith
Chosen: Michael Crabtree
Obvious at this point. San Fran LUCKED OUT here. No one saw Crabtree falling to them, but hey... good for SF.

11. Buffalo Bills
My Pick: Michael Oher
Chosen: Aaron Maybin
Surprise. I didn't really see them passing up on Oher here... but they have a chance to get him later in the first round if he is still there.

12. Denver Broncos
My pick: Brian Orakpo
Chosen: Knowshon Moreno
Why? They needed defense and they went running back, of which they already have 6+, 3 brought in during free agency. Passed on a hell of a defender for something they didn't need. Silly. I hope McDaniels picks his game up, otherwise this will not be a good start to his draft career.

13. Washington Redskins
My pick: Aaron Maybin
Chosen: Brian Orakpo
Well.... I guess they picked the best player... someone they thought wouldn't be there. Stupid Broncos...

14. New Orleans Saints
My pick: Malcolm Jenkins
Chosen: Malcolm Jenkins
I got another one right! Hooray! They needed help at DB, and this is a good pick.

15. Houston Texans
My pick: Vontae Davis
Chosen: Brian Cushing
They needed defense and they got it. They need offense too... but I guess take what you can get.

16. San Diego Chargers
My pick: Ray Maualuga
Chosen: Larry English
I don't get what these teams are doing. Oh well... I give up on choosing who will go where. He played for a low end team against low end opponents. I don't see him doing as well as some other linebackers, but hey, he could turn out to be a great player.

17. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (from Cleveland, from New York Jets)
My pick: Josh Freeman
Chosen: Josh Freeman
I guess I managed to get this one right by fate. I knew when Cleveland traded to this spot, they weren't going after him, but Tampa needed a QB so here you go. Even I get lucky sometimes! Good pick here... but think they could have not traded up to get him. They didn't give up much to get him. I don't really think he is that great, but I guess he will get his shot to prove how good he is.

18. Denver Broncos
My pick: Brian Cushing
Chosen: Robert Ayers
Not impressed with this pick... but they fill a need. I think they could have made a different choice going with a linebacker, but I guess you take what you can get. I just heard their reason behind drafting Moreno (Can't pass up the talent, and can never have enough running backs) and can't say I am terribly impressed. I hope he turns out to be worth the talent they passed up to get him.

19. Philadelphia Eagles (from Cleveland, from Tampa Bay)
My pick: Tyson Jackson
Chosen: Jeremy Maclin
Not a bad pick here. They need help at receiver, and seeing as Moreno was gone, they took a big need. He should help them very well as a returner and eventually as a receiver. Sure the have DeSean Jackson... but you can never have enough speedy talented receivers. Cleveland doesn't seem to want to pick in the first round for some reason... they keep trading!

20. Detroit Lions
My pick: James Laurinaitis
Chosen: Brandon Pettigrew
Weird pick here. I would have gone defense or o-lineman, but they do pick up a good blocking and receiving tight end. He will help out Stafford on two fronts, but I think they still could have chosen something different.

21. Cleveland Browns (from Philadelphia)
My pick: Knowshon Moreno
Chosen: Alex Mack, C, California
A good pick. They did well trading back and getting him late in the round instead of wasting a high pick on someone they could have gotten later, or a player they didn't really feel they needed. One of the best picks of the round. Well done.

22. Minnesota Vikings
My pick: Percy Harvin
Chosen: Percy Harvin
YAY! Another right pick! They need a receiver, and they need a game breaker. He fills both, and he should be an immediate impact for them, and take some pressure off of Adrian Peterson. They could have gone with a lineman, but I think they made the best pick here, and great pick here.

23. Baltimore Ravens (from New England)
My pick: Clay Matthews
Chosen: Michael Oher
Baltimore's line is getting up there in years so this is a solid pick. He is a great player and has great character, and will definitely be a good or great player in the NFL. Good choice and good call trading up for it.

24. Atlanta Falcons
My pick: Brandon Pettigrew
Chosen: Peria Jerry
I don't know what I was thinking... I guess I forgot they traded for Tony Gonzales. Anywho... Good pick here for them. They needed middle presence on defense, and this guy will help them.

25. Miami Dolphins
My pick: Larry English
Chosen: Vontae Davis
A solid pick. They need presence in their defensive backfield, and this is a player who can make a difference. He will have his work cut out for him in that division...

26. Green Bay Packers (from New England, from Baltimore)
My pick: Darius Heyward-Bey
Chosen: Clay Matthews
You can never have enough good line backers, and they picked a very good one with a lot of upside. Surprised that Maualuga is still waiting to be called, and that the other two LBs he played with went before him, but I don't think he will make it out of the first round. Good choice for GB and they are doing well addressing defense so far.

27. Indianapolis Colts
My pick: Brian Robiskie
Chosen: Donald Brown, RB, Conneticut
I figured them to go for another receiver, partly to make up for Marvin Harrison being released, and partly to just give them another weapon, but they got a good RB here with great pass catching skills. Indy is following the trend of the two back system, so Brown will be a heck of a tandem with Addai. Good choice here, but a bit of a surprise.

28. Buffalo Bills
My pick: Chase Coffman
Chosen: Eric Wood, C, Loisville
Buffalo needs lineman, and here is a good one. 4 year starter, and should be immediate help for the Bills. I think they should have picked up a career tackle with their first pick, but at least they addressed the line here.

29. New York Giants
My pick: Hakeem Nicks
Chosen: Hakeem Nicks
Wow.... I knew this was a toss up between Nicks and Britt, but glad I chose right. This is a big physical receiver who can fill in a big need for NY. I think he will make people forget about Plax. Good job here Giants.

30. Tennessee Titans
My pick: Kenny Britt
Chosen: Kenny Britt
Another good pick for a need. As I said with Nicks, it was a toss up where those two would land between NY and Tennessee. Good route runner, good hands, and should help out a team with severe receiver issues. I think this was one thing that really hurt the Titans, and now they have a receiver that has to ability to get them to the next level.

31. Arizona Cardinals
My pick: Chris "Beanie" Wells
Chosen: Chris "Beanie" Wells
3 in a row! Shocking I know... Anyways, I knew this was coming. Edge is past his prime, and they need a real rushing threat, and Beanie is it. He should have immediate impact, and give Arizona another threat on offense. This is all based on whether or not he can stay healthy...

32. Pittsburgh Steelers
My pick: Darius Butler
Chosen: Ziggy Hood, DT, Missouri
Well.... I guess. I didn't really see this one coming, but I've seen odder (Oakland picking Heyward-Bey). I really didn't think Maualuga would fall out of the first round, but that's how it goes sometimes. The Steelers draft very well, so if they think this is their man for the first round, then he must have been worth the pick.

Roundup:
So I didn't do so hot with my picks. I got 7 out of 32 right... pretty shitty, but I think the shake-ups that happened, (Heyward-Bey at 7 for the Raiders, double trades by the Browns and Patriots), I doubt anyone did well. Odd that Maualuga and Laurinaitis are still on the board after the first round, and two picks into the second, but you really can't pick how some people will choose. Anyways, I think some teams chose very well and really helped themselves out (Green Bay, NY Jets, Lions), some had head scratchers (Denver, Kansas City, San Diego), and some were just plain stupid (Oakland). All in all a pretty standard first round. Anyways, I hope you enjoyed my coverage and commentary!

~Ian

No comments: